Dear supporters and users of ADVi3++,
First of all, I wish you an happy new year. We all hope that 2021 will be better than 2020. Last year was difficult for a lot of us and I am not an exception. It was really tough on my side and because of several things that happened, I had to set aside a while from ADVi3++ development.
This is a new year and I have now resumed version 5 development. I have changed my plans a little. Initially, version 5.0 was very ambitious with a lot of new features. I also initially planned to support some third party modules but I have realized that it will give me a lot of support. So I have decided to focus on the heart of version 5:
- Moving to Marlin 2.x branch. This is already done.
- Introduce new tools to help diagnosis and fix common issues, in particular BLTouch. This is almost done.
So what to expect in version 5.0? Here a somewhat raw list of changes and new features:
- Based on Marlin 2.x branch
- Direct editing of values on the LCD panels
- Support of filament out or jam sensors
- Disabling of LCD panel beeping (it already works in version 4.0.6 for some panels, but not all)
- A better support of Advanced pausing (M600)
- Replacement of Jerk by Junction deviation (new feature of Marlin 2.x)
- Better baby stepping
- Estimation of printing time
- Unification of BLTouch pre-version 3 and version 3.x (i.e. only 1 binary for all BLTouches)
- A tool to compensate X-axis twist when using BL-Touch
- A new setup screen when you reset settings
- A new screen to help you diagnosis BLTouch problems
- A better way to detect when there is a hardware problem between the LCD panel and the mainboard.
- Thermal Runaway control will now be mandatory
- Less SRAM memory usage (experimental for the moment)
- A tools (i.e. microSD image) to reformat the LCD panel
The next question is when? Frankly, I do not know. I am very close to a first version 5 release but I still have some bugs to fix and, most of all, plenty of tests to do and it takes time. If I try to guess a date (it is a guess not a commitment), I would say somewhere in March.
Another important topic: some of you are supporting ADVi3++ for a very long time. Some for a little less time. And some are just taking the binaries and do not support the project for more than a few days. When I will release version 5, I will increase (double) the minimum amount to become a supporter (it will goes from USD 4 to USD 8). But the amount will not change for existing, long time supporters: if you are currently paying USD 1 per month, you will continue to pay the same amount as long as you support the project (same for $2 and $4). The increase will only be for new supporters.
The main reason I am doing that is to limit the number of new supporters and, as a consequence, the amount of support I will have to do for new comers. Then, after a while (1 or 2 months), I will see if I go back to the previous cheaper amounts.
Again, thank you all for your support especially those who are supporting ADVi3++ for more than two years. It is so incredible.
Stay safe if you can.