Which slicer to use

I know this topic is not particular to the ADVi3++ firmware, but since this is one community of i3plus users, I thought I’d ask.

I’ve used Cura before. I heard about Slic3r. I have a friend that has Simplify3D and tried it out. I’m just trying to get some opinions of what to do…

I’m not a fan of Cura, and I don’t know if it’s the slicer or me. On Windows 10, it was having problems starting. When I get it working and something to print, I have problems with the support structures being too messy and not breaking off easily. It also seems like the build plate raft was hard to remove as well. It worked, but I just felt like you would need a lot of time tweaking these settings.

When I tried to print a model with Simplify3D, I thought it worked out beautiful. The build plate was easy to remove, along with the supports. The software was easy to use. What I don’t like is the price tag on it. $100 maybe, but $150? It just seems like a lot of money. But then I really liked the features. One thing, and my friend didn’t know, was adding additional material and copying settings from one material to the other. With Cura it’s pretty easy, with his version of Simplify3D, it didn’t really have a nice material manager.

The last is Slic3r. I know nothing about it other than it’s a competitor of Cura.

Where I’m stuck is trying to figure out if I should really spend the $150 on Simplify3D or spend the time and get Cura working. I’m also not one to want to sit around and tinker and optimize things; I just want to start it up and get printing.

And if maybe somebody could share a Cura 4.3 i3plus printer profile that’s already tweaked and working, it would make my life easier. Or if maybe the i3plus works better with Slic3r… Just looking for some ideas.