Updating mainboard firmware and non working end stops - Aldi 3d Printer Touch

Hi guys, I’m having a bit of a difficulty updating the firmware on the mainboard of my ‘Aldi 3d Printer Touch’. I’ve followed alot of the instructions that I’ve found on this site so far and I’m still quite stumped. I’ve flashed my LCD screen fine with ADVi3++ 4.0.6, but when I try to update the main firmware using Cura it fails halfway through saying “Firmware update failed due to an unknown error”. I am using ADVi3pp-HE180021-Mainboard-4.0.6.hex which I believe is correct for my printer. I have yet to try a different cable but I will aquire one soon.

I have followed the instructions to use Arduino IDE and I have managed to upload the sketch of the 4.0.6 firmware using the usb cable that came with the printer - albeit I’m not quite sure what I am doing here. I do seem now to have to installed the mainboard firmware, but when i go to home the printer none of the end stops are working when pressed, so i have to switch the printers power off to prevent it trying to eat itself.

Has anyone got any ideas why Cura is failing to update the firmware? And/or any ideas how I can upload a correct firmware for my printer via Arduino?

As it currently stands ADVi3++ looks very cool, I’m just dissapointed I can’t use it yet! Any help would be appreciated.

What is the version number written on the mainboard?

Ive just opened the base unit up and the mainboard is marked i3-Plus Mainboard v5.2c, so I think I have flashed with the correct firmware - I just haven’t managed to ‘fully’ flash it. Is there anyway of uploading the mainboard .Hex via Arduino?

Yes

Is your USB port a USB 3? If often fails with USB 3 but works with USB 2 ports.

It looks like it was a USB 3.1 issue. All of my PC ports are USB 3.1, but I plugged the printer into my girlfriends PC which has a few USB 2 ports and it was able to flash via Cura with no issue at all. Cheers for the help, and I’m very glad it ended up being such a simple fix!

Excellent firmware now I’ve been using it for a few days. Much better than stock, for both leveling and extruder calibration - and presumably alot else. Cheers

Thanks! I think that version 5 will be event better. If you want to try it, do not hesitate to ask. More info here: https://community.advi3pp.com/t/beta-testers-wanted-for-advi3-version-5/

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.