Octoprint and Rasberry Pi questions

I’m not sure if this is the correct place for this post but, here goes…

I have been printing very successfully with my ALDI Cocoon Create Touch for a couple of years now and have been reluctant to make any drastic changes until I discovered this resource (and what a gold find it was!) whereupon I successfully updated my firmware and rushed out and bought a BLTouch (yet to be installed).

I am getting a little tired of the SD card waltz and have read snippets about Octoprint (sounds like Sushi) and Rasberry pi (sounds like something my grandmother used to make) and so was wondering where to go to get a blow-by-blow description of what I need to purchase and how to set it all up.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Oh, and my apologies if I have posted in the wrong place or if this has been covered in depth elsewhere! :woozy_face:

Move to a more appropriate category.

Not sure to fully understand your question. You want to setup OctoPrint on a Raspberry Pi, right? Just buy a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (no need for a version 4), a case for it, a proper USB cable (i.e. short), a proper power plug (with enough power, not one for your phone). To install OctoPrint, there is a distribution called OctoPi (https://github.com/guysoft/OctoPi). It has everything.

Optionally, you can also buy a web cam.

1 Like

Thanks for that - that link tells me what I need to know - appreciate it.

1 Like

G’day Biggles,

I also have an ALDI Cocoon Create touch, running ADVi3. Recommend you check out the YouTube videos for how to install a Raspberry pi and octoprint, by ‘BV3D’ and ‘Chris’s Basement’. Both have excellent tutorials which I followed and love my set up now. You should be able to get a Pi, microSD, transformer power supply for the Pi, and case for around $90-100 AUD. Shipping time at the moment may be a slow coming from overseas though. Hope the install goes well for you.

Ian

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggested tutorials - I’ll check them out.

Yes, shipment looks like it is slow at the moment!

1 Like

CoreElectronics has a kit with Octoprint already installed. Its def not the cheapest way of doing it.

They also do a kit without it installed that is a little more affordable and inline with the price above.

1 Like