Manual Leveling Offset

Hello, I just installed the latest version of the firmware and already love how much nicer the motors sound when moving around. However, I was wondering what the offset used when doing manual leveling is. For example, is there supposed to be 0.1mm between the nozzle and the bed when you’re leveling manually? Or is it supposed to be touching the bed. Also, is there any way to change the value to something like 0.2mm? Thanks.

This is completely up to you.

For me, this question does not make sense. There is nothing to change. You use what you like.

Basically what I’m asking is when it does the manual leveling sequence, is the z axis height set to 0.1 or 0.2mm, or is it set to 0.0mm?

For me, it makes no sense to set the offset to a value. So I assume that the answer you expect is 0.

Ok, I see. My logic behind setting it as something higher than 0 is that if you have a 0.2mm thick card that you use for leveling, you’d want to set it so when you do manual leveling it positions the z-axis 0.2mm above the plate. That way when the z-axis is set to 0, it’s in contact with the plate. I believe i3plus+ handled it like this as well.

Looked at the i3plus+ code and it was handled slightly differently, but the offset was 0.0mm on the z by default. I remember setting it to 0.2mm manually and it worked pretty well, so I’m not sure why it’s not a nonzero value by default, as I explained my logic above.

Sorry, but I still believe it is wrong.

Ok, I’ll give it a try with no z offset during leveling and see how my prints turn out.

I mean: it is wrong to put an arbitrary offset in ADVi3++, because different people will use / ask for different offsets. So that’s why it is 0. Personally, i am using a feeler gauge (metal) and thus I can choose the offset I want.

My logic is that if you use a 0.1mm feeler gauge to level and then do a print where the first layer height is 0.2mm, you’ll end up with the first layer actually being at 0.3mm relative to the build surface. This is especially important because I only do manual leveling, and don’t have any sort of automatic leveling.

I use a 0.04mm (0.0015") feeler gage for setting the Z home and leveling. I print the first layer and adjust the bed up/dn as needed so that the 1st layer fills in and has good thickness. I own digital calipers so I can measure the layer thickness accurately. I added the BLTouch so now I can adjust the Z offset on the screen, Settings/Sensor/Z offset. I have found that PLA needs -6 microns and ABS needs -12 microns with my Monoprice Maker Select printer.

Best
Salty Doug

1 Like

Found a good solution; since my leveling card is 0.2mm, I changed the start code of my prints a bit:

G28: normal homing, all axes
M206 Z0.2: makes it so the printer knows that the z-axis is 0.2mm above the bed
M211 S0: disables the software endstops so the printer can move below z 0.2mm, since otherwise the z software endstop is set to 0.2mm

And at the end of my prints:

M211 S1: turns the software endstops back on

This turning of the endstops back on is simply to make sure that I don’t accidentally crash the nozzle into the bed while jogging after a print, since I seriously doubt I’d need to move the nozzle below 0.2 mm while jogging anyways.

Silly question, what size feeler gauge are you using, could be handy to know since your getting good results!
:slight_smile:
Personally I used 0.1mm, its listed on a sticker on the front of my printer.
But it seems to work for me.
But different build environment might result in different setting that work better.

It is very dependent of the kind of bed ( personally I use glass), and the kind of filament (I use most of the time soff pla or petg). 0.1 is a good start. But as often with 3D printing, it is a question of testing.