Mainboard replacement options? Stepper driver failed

I have an Aldi Cocoon Create Touch (5.1 version mainboard)
and a BLTouch3

Looks like the stepper driver has died for the extruder so I’m looking at replacing the mainboard.
I don’t really want to use an external stepper driver because that requires compiling every time I update.

So if I’m going to swap out the mainboard, should I just get another 5.1 board OR should I take the opportunity to update the mainboard. If so, what do you all recommend?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers, Marty

If you change the board, it will be a different printer and you will have to adapt yourself the firmware. But you said that you do not want that. So what do you have in your mind? Replace by a 5.4 board ? But it is not an upgrade of the 5.1. It is a different board with hardware differences (such as a bigger connector, …)

1 Like

Ok. Thanks… I think it’s less problems to just swap the board for the same.
Also, if a driver chip blows in the future, I’ve got three good ones on the old board I can surface mount swap over too.

Thanks for that advice.

Marty

If you have (micro-)soldering skills, you can change the drivers on your existing board. It is better to check yourself, but in general the drivers are Allegro Microsystems A4988ET.

Thanks for that. Il’l get a few and try my hand at fixing my old board. Always good to have a spare.
I got a replacement v5.1 mainboard from cocoon (Aldi) in Australia - It was $150 but that included shipping it to me and it arrived 2 days after I ordered it.

NOTE TO ANYONE IN AUSTRALIA WHO NEEDS A NEW MAINBOARD: Contact https://support.cocoonproducts.com.au/ and you’ll be back up and printing with in a few days!

The other option was a mainboard at about $100 AUD shipped from Wanhao China by AliExpress. I’d be lucky if that arrived sooner than 2 months so the extra $50 was money well spent. :rofl:

I will order some of those driver chips though - they are about $2 each and it’s less stress on me and the chip to just solder on a new one than risk damaging one by transplanting it.

Thanks so much for your help and your awesome firmware. I’ve been a subscriber since day one! :kissing_heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Marty

(Post edited to correct version number of main board)

I think you mean 5.1. Isn’t it?

1 Like

Yes, 5.1 I’ll edit that post so not to confuse people. :+1:t3:

hi @Martin_Dolan

Maybe this will help…