Is it possible to increase the number of levelling points in the auto bed levelling feature?

Hello there,

what i asked in the title :slight_smile:

Thank you

Yes but you need to compile the firmware yourself. The values to change are GRID_MAX_POINTS_X and GRID_MAX_POINTS_Y in Configuration.h

1 Like

I have been wondering about this for some time l, thank you.

Are there many benefits to increasing the number of points checked? I’m assuming the disadvantage to more points is the time taken to beck them all first.

Yes, and it uses more memory which is a precious resource.

1 Like

Ah, yes! Obvious, once you said it! How much memory does each point take? I would have thought four integers, plus header/footer?

No, it is more than that since it constructs a mesh.

1 Like

Well Scott already asked some of my follow up questions so I have no more questions!

Thank you both :smiley:

1 Like

So has it worked with an increase of mesh? I’d like to take it to 4x4 but wonder:

1. Will it work (ie. memory limitations)?
  2. Does the levelling UI for Bltouch now not match 4x4 (ie. still reads 3x3 visual)?

Measures a 4x4 but the LCD displays 3x3 values only.

You mean the grid at the end of the leveling? Yes, it displays only 3x3 values. it has to be modified to display more.

Thank you. Are you saying this is finding the code to modify and it will display? That is, by someone technical but cannot code to save their life (me)?

Cheers!

Sorry, I do not understand what you are saying. “Save their life” ???

Sorry, I have to be more simple in the language :slight_smile:

What I mean to ask… is there a way to modify the display to show 4x4 result that someone who doesn’t know how to code (me) can do? I can change variables and recompile but that’s it.

Yes, English is not my mother tongue as you have probably guessed.

No, sorry. It implicates to modify both the motherboard code and the LCD part. So not trivial.