Extruder raises after homing after flashing ADVi++ 5.0.1

I have just flashed my Balco printer version with ADVi3pp-Mainboard-52c-5.0.1.hex, which I believe is the correct version. This is after successfully flashing the LCD screen with ADVi3pp-LCD-5.0.0.img.

When pressing the home all-axes command on the LCD panel the extruder homes OK and then raises, showing a value of 10 for the Z-axis. This also happens when sending a print job to the printer, making the printer unusable. Is it something that I am doing wrong? Everything was working with version 4.0.4 which was installed before.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

You have to look at your mainboard. The model/version is written on it.

Thank you for your quick reply.

The board printing says i3 plus mainboard v5.2C.

Incidentally, I have manual leveling only and no BL-Touch

So you flash the right firmware. Very probably, you have something disconnected or loose. Check the z axis end stop, the wire and the connector on the mainboard.

I’ve checked as far as I can and connections/switches seem OK. One way to verify if there is an issue with my printer is to go back to version 4.0.4, which I had installed before. However, I now cannot flash version 4.0.4 LCD firmware. The screen goes blue and after a few seconds, I get the text “connecting to mainboard…” (text from v5.0.1), and nothing else happens. When I restart the system it goes straight into version 5.0.1.

Incidentally, when manually leveling the extruder behaves correctly and moves down the bed as expected

In the event I cannot get version 5.0.1 working for me how do I revert to version 4.0.4. Is there a way to reflash the LCD and can I just overwrite v5.0.1 firmware with v4.0.4.

Thank you for any help that you can give.

This can happen if the microSD is bad. What kind of microSD are you using? Is it bigger than 8 GiB? It is old or new?

If you need to erase completely the LCD panel, there is an image for that in the Binaries: LCD Reset microSD image. Just flash it like for the other images. It will remove everything. Then you can flash an image.

No, they are not compatible.

I get very few feedback for version 5.x and mainboard version 5.2C so maybe I have a bug in the firmware for those printers. So it would be great to be able to find where the problem is. Of couse, if you have something to print and version 5 is not working for you, I understand if you switch back to version 4. But if you can make some tests later, it would help me much.

I was using an 8GB microSD, but will try another newer one.

In the meantime, I think I have a work-around. After sending a G28 code in my GCode starting script if I then follow it with a G1 Z0 command the extruder moves to Z0. This seems to work OK and it appears to print normally.

FYI. When I send a G28 to the printer via the Octoprint Terminal I get the following response:

Recv: X:-2.00 Y:0.00 Z:10.00 E:0.00 Count X:-160 Y:0 Z:4000

So, I will stay with v5.0.1 for now and will be pleased to assist you in further testing if required.

In now better understand what is going on. Your first message let me think that the printer was no more working after raising its head. But I now understand that it works perfectly. The behavior you see is perfectly normal. If you do not tell to the printer what to do in your startup script, it will not do it alone. So what you call a workaround is in fact a fix of your startup script.

I should give startup scripts for users that do not have a BLTouch. I will do that soon.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.